Sunday, March 11, 2012

Storytime - Trash and Recycling

This storytime was a lot of fun, and it gave the kids a chance to get up and moving after the stories. They all really enjoyed the craft, too.

I like to start out storytime with introductions. For this storytime, I asked them to tell me their name and tell me something that stinks.

The first book I read was I Stink! by Kate McMullen. My son and I love this book and in fact, we have all the other Kate McMullen books, too. This is also a really fun book to read aloud! The kids loved it and thought it was hysterical.
 
The second book I read was Smash! Mash! Crash! There Goes the Trash! by Barbara Odanaka.
The kids enjoyed this one, too. The rhyming is a lot of fun and the book ends with kids playing with their own garbage trucks, so the kids can relate to it.

The final book I read was The Adventures of a Plastic Bottle: A Story About Recycling by Alison Inches.
Full disclosure here, this book was a bit over the kid's heads (parts of it were over my own head!). The kids who come to storytime have an average age of 3.5 and this book went into the complex process of recycling. It was also long and I ended up needing to skip parts of the book. However, its a cute book (I would just recommend it for kids 6 or older).
 

After the stories, we had a brief discussion about what recycling is, what kinds of trash can be recycled and what kinds of trash need to be put in the regular trash. Then I asked the kids to hunt for "trash" in the bookstore. The "trash" consisted of things like (unused) napkins and tissues, plastic pretend food, plastic bottles, etc.  I had the kids collect the "trash" and then decide whether to place it in the trash can or the recycling container.

For a craft, I had coloring pages of trash trucks or recycling bins for the kids to choose from. I had spent this night before cutting out pictures of different items that are recycled and thrown away - bottles, newspapers, diapers, moldy food, etc.  I had the kids paste the cut out trash items with the correct picture (trash or recycling). They came out very cute and the kid's were happy with them.

Here's my boy's picture below.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment